Monday, August 14, 2006

Fun Filled Weekend...


There is nothing in the world like spending the weekend in front of a computer screen re-writing code...

I did get some printing done, and I have the engagement pictures that I took on Saturday and worked on at the same time as I was coding.

The website I use for the studio has 2 ways of creating web pages. The easy way and the more difficult way. The easy way allows you to easily upload images you want to use for your website graphics. Doing so, however, counts as part of the images you are charged for. They have a multi-tier pricing plan. The number of images up to a certain amount you are charged a rate. As you upload more images the rate goes up based on the new level.

The problem with this is, it includes client photos. I can shoot well over 1000 photographs at a wedding. If I have multiple weddings online, that is a lot of photographs. If I upload pictures or graphics just used for the website, that is ADDED to this amount. So the website graphics get lumped together with the client photos in determining what level you are charged at...not really fair. But, it is great if you don't know how to do any of the coding...I have learned very quickly this weekend since I am approaching 4000 images.

I have started out with the Fine Art Gallery, recoding everything and uploading the images to a different server so I can grab the ones I want and display them. It works great but will be more work on my end. I have to resize the graphics/pictures to a specific size then manually recode everything without being able to see the images that I want to code for.

I will eventually recode everything that is part of the website graphics to pull from the other server...I can upload all I want from the other server. The issue is, you have to know what to code and how to do it.

Well, I learned and it is the most absurd way to learn. They do not give you instructions, so for part of what I wanted to do I had to look at the source code from the Internet Explorer history, and how it was pulling the images up...then recode to do it like I wanted. A really crazy way to figure it out, but the company does not give you any instructions on how to do it.