Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Choosing Your Photographer Lesson #2 (Repost)

When shopping for a wedding photographer, it should be about more than just price, much more. While everyone has a limit, way too many brides have no budget, in mind, for anything. Your wedding photographer should account for 8.5-12% of your total wedding budget. Some spend a LOT more and others spend less.

Many brides sign-up for a lower plan with the intention of spending more. I call those brides...very smart... :)

Your wedding photographer is going to capture an event in your life which should be worth more than just a stack of "snapshots."

I get brides (& sometimes grooms) that tell me they "...just want some snapshots" of their wedding. Well, you do not want me then. I don't do snapshots. I have turned away many brides because they were just looking for "...nothing special" in their wedding photography.

I am amazed that people will spend THOUSANDS of dollars on location, even more on food, cake, flowers, limousine and a host of other items for their wedding, but skimp on the photographer. Even worse is their uncle or brother has a camera...

When the wedding is over, the food eaten, the flowers have died, and the wedding dress has been stored, what do you have? MEMORIES. If your wedding photography exceeds your expectations then your album becomes even more special!

Who wants just a plain album with some "pitures" (I get that a lot, "we just want some 'pitures'") .

I had one bride who bought the lowest plan I had. It was actually the worse value for any bride. But I figured they were on a very tight budget. When I got to the reception, I was floored by the extravagance on food, flowers and let's not forget the open bar. While those things ARE wonderful to have for your wedding, skimping on the photography should not happen. The photography is the ONLY thing you have when the wedding is over.

Your wedding photographs should EXCEED your expectations.