Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Weddings and Stuff













I will be taking Kathryn Varner's formal bridal photos this Saturday. Unfortunately, everyone will have to wait to view those, since they will be locked...no peeking!!!

Also shooting a model portfolio for Javaris Thomas on Thursday. He is from Montgomery but has already landed a few spots on television shows (I forget which ones...sorry...I will find out).

I am getting a lot of calls about wedding photography. I believe there are some brides that want to photograph the MOST IMPORTANT time in her life, on the cheap. Unfortunately (for them), I do not do snapshot wedding photography.

That's what relatives and beginner photographers are for. That may sound harsh but it really is not. I spend anywhere from 60-140 hours per wedding (minimum). That is a lot of time. I do not shoot and burn the images on a CD. I would NEVER hand over raw images to anyone, unless they insist and agree to the price.

What you are paying for is the professional photographer's expertise and time. Just like a doctor, or a lawyer. I would much rather pay an attorney $200/hour if he can get something done in a couple of hours, rather than one that charges $75.00/hour and it takes him 10 hours to get anything done, if at all (been there and done that).

Some photographers still produce the raw images for the bride. I have yet to see a photograph that is anywhere near as good straight out of the camera as compared to a finished enhanced and retouched print. Just will not happen. If you can get a photograph like the one here straight out of the camera, then by all means, use that photographer (won't happen).

Choose your wedding photographer with care. There are several in town that will do a superb job. Whether you are looking for a more traditional style, or the more popular photojournalism and storybook style, they are here in Montgomery. I know a couple of local photographers that I would not mind photographing my daughters' weddings.

This is the most important day in your life, and I quote from Raiders of the Lost Ark, "...choose wisely."